We don’t have time. Most of the time it feels like time has us. Why don’t you take some time right now to learn how to better manage your time? Actually, it’s more like manage your view of time. It won’t take long, I promise, and it may just save you time in the end – or at least allow you to release the notion that you do not have time.
- Be Highly Honest with Yourself and Others. If someone asks you to do something and you really do not have time to do it, say so! Yes, there are organizations, church, clubs, and family that would love nothing more than to have you take time to help them out, but if you cannot do it you simply cannot do it. There is only so much time, right? Let them know that you will be able to help out down the road, but at this time, no.
- Know the Difference Between Actual Priorities and Guilt-Induced Tasks. Some things really do need to get done, like the laundry for example, clean clothes are necessary. Or perhaps you run a business and are being paid to provide a service, your clients won’t remain clients if you are not following through. But some tasks are simply things you do out of guilt. If you are doing something out of guilt, either get over the guilt or get over the task.
- Assign Time to Tasks. If, for example, you have not been on Facebook in like forever and want to get back in touch, but feel you do not have time, assign just a bit of time. Say 15 minutes. Set a timer if need be.
- Don’t Feel as if You Must Always Be Doing Something. In other words, doing nothing is also doing something, this is called rest and rejuvenation (and it is important as well!).
- Don’t Allow Others to Dictate Your Time. Are there people who call and you jump? Maybe this is how you are accustomed to being with this person, but in reality, they can do their own tasks (liberating when you figure this one out!). You get to and should decide what to do with your time.
Time is yours. Be real on how much time you have and what you will do in that time. Be aware and often ask yourself if you are making proper and sensible use of your time. If not take back that time and use it for the highest good!