Here are some easy superfoods you can incorporate into your day to give your diet an easy nutritional upgrade!
- Barley Flour can be used to replace up to 1/3 of the flour in baked goods like muffins, pancakes, waffles and biscuits. It is high in fiber and protein, and studies show that it lowers cholesterol. Look for Bob’s Red Mill specialty items at your grocery store.
- Kelp boasts a ton of Vitamin K and calcium. In powdered form it can be easily added to meatloaf or soup. Also check out Sea Tangle 6 calorie per serving noodles.
- Nutritional Yeast has a fabulously salty and cheesy taste. Nutritional Yeast can be used on popcorn, pasta dishes, potatoes or in scrambled eggs. Not only is it packed with protein (9 grams per serving), it is also chock-full of stress relieving B vitamins.
- Broccoli Sprouts are anti-cancer superheroes. Use them on sandwiches and in salads, or make a good for you burrito with whole wheat tortilla, low-fat refried beans, salsa, low-fat cheddar cheese, and a tablespoon of broccoli sprouts.
- Black Garlic is produced by fermentation; a technique that has been around for thousands of years. The process doubles the amount of natural anti-oxidants and allows you to enjoy black garlic with no smelly after breath. Use it on pizza, in sauces, and in dips. For recipes click here.
- Chia Seeds pack quite the nutritional punch; one tablespoon of these tiny little seeds delivers a daily dose of fiber, protein, calcium, essential fatty acids and more. Their nutty taste is a perfect toppers for salads and cereal.
- Jicama is a crunchy root vegetable that acts as a prebiotic for promoting healthy gut bacteria. Slice it up into straws for slaws, grate some and toss with lime juice and chili pepper as an accompaniment for your tacos or salads, serve slices with crudite, also wonderful in stir-fries.
Upgrade your diet and try something new with these amazing foods.